Wednesday, March 14, 2007

40 Ways to Name Your Pain

Having a body like mine is an interesting experience. It is never predictable, and always full of surprises. Five minutes from now I could jump up from the bed and do a lap about the room, and our latter I might not be able to sit up. There's no pattern, and no reason, though sometimes there are hints. If I over exert myself, from carrying my own groceries or parking to far from the story, I can expect to be leveled my a flair up an hour or a day later. Sometimes my joints crack, sometimes my muscles ache, but their is always something, and it's never boring.
They say Inuit cultures have 40 words for snow. Fibros have 40 ways to describe pain. Its searing, is sharp, a dull ache, a slow burn, a cramped muscle or a deep prod. We all learn the different ways our body lets us know that it thinks something is wrong.
At one time I tried to start a joint journal, which sounds better than a pain diary, but less accurate. I recorded the places I hurt and what medicines I took, and what walking aids I used for each day. The problem was it changed every minute. I would start with a compelling throb in my spin and end up with a tender jaw line. I found myself with pencil in hand every moment of the day trying to capture what I was feeling. Needless to say it wasn't a rousing success.
Often Fibro resources tell you to keep such a journal. It helps your doctors and gives you some idea about what your main symptoms are. I can't help but feel these suggestions are given by someone who has never experienced Fibro. There's too much to write, and we are already trying to live our lives among the fun our bodies have come up with.
What we could really use is a Fibro sufferer to become an MD and do research on our condition. Problem there of course is the fact the Fibros would die in med school. I nearly keeled over doing my masters and there was not residence work to make me crazy.
I guess what I'm saying is that Fibros have to take their doctors in hand, and let them know what is possible and what is not. Most docs I go to have little time to see me, being at big University Hospitals and working with many patients in severe pain. Insist that they take the time with you. Your insights into what is happening to you might help them with someone else. Also it will let them know that you are committed to your treatment, and they can't just pawn you off with platitudes.
Salvate!
-Fiona

No comments: