Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Day Two

Still at home. Still in pain. I'm currently watching Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my sister. She's on the phone with someone now so I'm free to update.
People with Fibro often experience what is called Fibro Fog. Its a slight cognitive impairment, or occasional disorientation that while not totally debilitating like senility, or alzheimer's it can be very frightening. My Fibro fog usually only lasts for a minute or two. To me it is really like standing in a sea of fog. Everything is distant, and nothing really makes sense. I'm often slow to come out of it. Today I experienced Fibro fog for the first time in my sleep. I actually don't know if that is possible, but it certainly felt like it. I was sleeping, then I felt that I was awake, but really was still dreaming. It felt like something was on my chest and I couldn't move. I tried to call to my sister for help but nothing came out. The panic was rising, and I was getting more and more confused. Eventually I did manage to yell for help but my sister was on the phone and didn't know it was urgent. I struggled and fought to call out again. She finally came and I fought my way awake. Even 20 minutes later I was shaking from fear and exhausted but afraid to close my eyes.
It seems like I wouldn't mind the pain so much if it didn't come with all the other fun symptoms. Fibro fog was something I didn't experience much in the early stages of my condition. I've been getting it more and more and it is truly frighting. Anxiety is another fun side effect, so the more I'm afraid of the Fibro fog, the more anxious I am. It is these kinds of things that make this condition so insidious. We look normal, and are often young, and yet we are experiencing things that are difficult for other people to understand. All I can hope is that someone will read this, and begin to learn about my condition. Maybe a family member of someone with Fibro, maybe a co-worker, or friend. If I could just help one person understand I would feel better. Heres hoping.
Salvate.
-Fiona

No comments: